The Role of an Electrical Engineer in the Construction Industry
Filed under: Electrical
Electrical engineering is the study, design, and application of equipment, devices, and systems that deal with electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. Within this field and especially in the construction and industrial industries, an electrical engineer or electrical site engineer will be employed. Typically, these types of engineers will be tasked with designing, building, installing, and the maintenance of electrical systems and equipment. They work with all kinds of electrical systems, from small pocket devices to large supercomputers. An electrical site engineer can have many different roles and responsibilities in construction, whether they’re working residential or commercial jobs. From preparing project specifications to creating test procedures, the experts at NCE are sharing the role of an electrical engineer and what they do within the construction industry.
While engineers primarily work in research and development industries, we’re seeing an increasing need for them in construction and industrial fields. With that being said, electrical engineer job responsibilities in the construction field can be vast. While working on a construction site, electrical engineers’ main duties typically involve overseeing projects, writing reports, and resolving issues, but there are also many sub-disciplines. These sub-disciplines can include anything from signal processing and power generation to transmission and distribution applications, instrumentation, and computer engineering.
Today’s electrical engineer job responsibilities in construction typically include these five key components to successfully meet the requirements for safety, reliability, and energy efficiency on a job site:
- Preparing Cost and Labor Estimates – one of the main responsibilities of an electrical site engineer is to prepare and develop cost estimates for materials and labor before planning and construction begin. They can also expertly calculate how many laborers will be needed and give an accurate timeline to ensure the project stays within budget and is completed on time.
- Designing Electrical Systems – after the initial planning phase, an electrical engineer will get to work designing electrical systems for the construction project. This involves determining important electrical elements that will be needed for the specific project and how to incorporate them. An electrical site engineer will also prepare project blueprints.
- Managing Electrical Contractors – an electrical engineer also has the important job of overseeing and managing electrical contractors. This can include assigning tasks, directing activity, and answering questions.
- Resolving Electrical Problems – sometimes, things don’t go exactly as planned, and existing plans, configurations, or blueprints are changed. If this occurs, an electrical engineer is responsible for resolving any issues or problems that may arise. They work quickly to revise the plans so there isn’t an interruption or delay in construction.
- Conducting System Tests – throughout the course of the job, an electrical engineer will periodically perform system tests on electrical systems and devices. This ensures that everything is working optimally and allows for problems to be resolved before they become bigger issues. At the final inspection, an electrical engineer will not only test individual components and the electrical system as a whole, but they will also ensure everything is up to local and national code.
At NCE, our team of electrical engineers are well trained in the most up-to-date standards and regulations, so we can ensure that your project plans, employee safety, testing procedures, and equipment operations are completed in compliance with local and national codes. We are confident that we are equipped with the correct knowledge to complete any project demand and answer any questions successfully and on time.
At NCE, we have been an industry leader in providing comprehensive commercial electrical services, solutions, and designs to the power market for over 20 years. We provide our specialized services throughout the Northeastern, US, ensuring our clients’ needs and expectations are always fully met. Our engineering services are designed to be functional, innovative, detailed, and conceptual and we are always here to help answer any questions. Whatever your electrical engineering needs may be, know the experts at NCE will work diligently with you and your facility to ensure safety and functionality throughout. Connect with us today to learn more.